Friday, 1 November 2013

Wintry Silence


Limping on in the middle of the night,
I think of my children huddled by the fire,
reading books and stroking the kittens.
I think of my wife, bustling around,
my home, the smell of fresh biscuits;
those butter biscuits that melt on your tongue.
My home with all its warmth;
my family, together.
"Wish I was home!"
I say to myself aloud,
while I limp on, on this chilly night.

Do they ever think of me I wonder? My children.
Do they deem me a worthy father?
Do they wish my sofa by their fire wasn't empty?
Do they wish I had stayed?

Ah! Winter rekindles old memories.
This hanging silence, this cutting chill,
this empty street awaken the past.
Bearing the weight of fresh snow, the fence 
watches as I limp on amid 
this silence.
This naked, cold, wintry silence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment